The summer season is a big time of year for haulage of all types—whether it’s getting the ATVs out of storage and hitting the trail or strapping your motorcycle into place and taking across the country for a multi-state ride. And, in the spirit of ensuring safe haulage for everyone and optimal security while out on the open road, Ron’s Hitch ‘N Tow is here to give you a few simple safety tips and reminders that you can and should take to heart this summer season.
Keep these essential tidbits of information regarding tow and hitch in Eugene, OR in mind while you saddle up for summer:
- If you’re hauling anything with wheels—motorcycles, ATVs, sport bikes, etc.—make sure that you’re always using wheel chocks to ensure stability. Chocking the wheels of these vehicles while they’re safely secured in a trailer or on a wagon means not having to worry about them sliding around, where they potentially have the ability to dislodge from their restraints and roll right off the back of the transport!
- Always, always use security straps and tie-downs appropriately and be sure to secure every facet of your cargo. A good rule of thumb is to always use four tie downs: two horizontal and two vertical, to ensure proper coverage of your cargo and to prevent any dislodging while you’re in transit.
- Before you do any hauling this summer, inspect your tow and hitch in Eugene, OR to make sure that the receiver, the frame, the connector and any other facets of the setup are in prime condition. If you notice any compromised components, rusting or damage, be sure to consult with a professional about the extent of the damage and if necessary, get it fixed or replaced. Dealing with faulty towing equipment is only going to put you and other drivers in danger.
- Know your hitch and its class—meaning know what it can handle and what’s pushing the limits. Hitches are classed for a reason and adhering to these rules will keep you, your cargo and everyone else around you on the road safe. If your weight capacities are in question or you don’t know what your hitch is rated for, consult with Ron’s Tow ‘N Hitch today to discern the specifics. It’s better to be safe than sorry!
- Check that your hitch is appropriate for your vehicle and that utilizing it at its full capacity isn’t going to cause suspension or alignment issues. Many people assume that their vehicle can bear the brunt of whatever they’ll hauling by eyeballing it, but as many drivers can tell you, this is only going to cause costly suspension problems that are a detriment to your vehicle.
And, as a final piece of advice, don’t ever hesitate to stop by Ron’s Hitch ‘N Tow if you have questions or concerns about your hitch or if you’re in the market for a new hitch and hitch accessories. We’re always happy to help our customers stay on the safe side of every towing situation!