Before you head out on your upcoming road trip, take a few minutes to make sure you know all the most important safety tips for a road trip in Eugene, OR. A pre-trip inspection will ensure that no matter what happens on the road, you’ll be prepared. This can save you time and frustration and ensure your safety and the safety of your family. Read on for more information about road trip safety tips in Eugene, OR:
- Pre-trip inspection: First, you should make sure your car or other vehicle you’re taking is in good working order before heading out on a long road trip. Take your vehicle to the manufacturer or mechanic and tell them you’re preparing for a road trip and want them to do all the major safety inspections. They just might catch something that was about to go wrong!
- Prepare an emergency kit: One of the most helpful things you can have with you in the event of any type of mishap is an emergency kit. In this kit, you should have a complete stock of first aid supplies, survival blankets, warm clothing, a compass, windshield cleaner, antifreeze, an ice scraper, reflective triangles, non-perishable food bars and cans, a basic tool kit, bottled water, a flashlight and extra batteries, jumper cables, an air compressor or can of fix-a-flat, a folding shovel, work gloves and an emergency whistle. You may even be able to find premade emergency kits for your car that will save you the time and hassle of assembling one yourself.
- Check tires: Before leaving, you should check the pressure in all your tires, including the spare tire in the trunk. Look for uneven tread wear and follow the manufacturer’s instructions on proper tire pressure. You may also want to take your car to a mechanic to have the tires rotated and balanced.
- Check fluid levels: You’ll also want to check fluid levels under your vehicle’s hood. This includes the battery fluid, oil, coolant, transmission fluid and windshield wiper fluid.
- Check lights: Checking lights is a road trip safety tip in Eugene, OR that can save you a lot of hassle on the road and ensure your safety. Make sure your brake lights are working, as well as your turn signals and headlights. All these lights are essential to keeping you safe on the road.
- Spares: It’s always good to have backups. Make sure you not only have a spare tire but also a spare car key in case you accidentally lock your keys in the car. Bring a paper map as well, because you never know when technology is going to have difficulties.
Make sure not only that your vehicle is in good condition, but that you have all the parts you need for your trailer. Ron’s Hitch N Tow provides the best trailer hitches, hitch supplies and trailer supplies in Eugene, OR. We specialize in trailer brakes, trailer axles, trailer tires, brake controllers, trailer rollers and everything else you need for a safe trip. Come see us before you hit the road this summer!